Thursday, January 08, 2009

timeline

January 4, 2009

  • ~ 6:00 PM:
    I decided I should fly to Guatemala this week to renew my tourist visa which will expire in about a week, so I don't cut into class time at the language school. In addition, I could take the GRE exam since the closest place it is offered is Guatemala City.
  • 9:19 PM:
    I wrote a friend in Guatemala (Elder) and told him there was a possibility I would be flying in next week, and asked if there's a chance he could put me up for a few days.
  • 9:35 PM:
    Elder replied, stating that his house was open and I could crash there for a few days.
  • 9:36 PM:
    I sat down and thought for a few minutes about my next week. Then I started seriously studying for the GRE.
January 5, 2009
  • 11:10 AM:
    I purchased my tickets on-line to leave for Guatemala City, Guatemala at 2:45 on January 7.
  • 12:09 PM:
    I received confirmation of a GRE testing appointment I set up about 10 minutes before.
January 6, 2009
  • Jogged. Studied. Ate lunch. Did practice exam #1.
January 7, 2009
  • ~ 9:45 AM:
    Felt the room start to sway back and forth gently. Irma yelled out "temblor" in the other room and I just sat expressionless waiting to see what would happen. The tremor died down after about a minute and I kept on reading. This was actually the first one I've felt, having slept through or not felt all the other major ones in the past few months.
  • 2:45 PM:
    I left the gate at the San Jose airport and flew to Guatemala.
January 8, 2009
  • ~12:15 PM:
    Started the GRE.
  • 1:21 PM
    I begin the second part of the GRE - analyzing an argument.
    Earthquake of magnitude 6.2 hits about 35 km northwest of San Jose.
  • 3:16 PM:
    I call Elder to notify him I'm done with my exam.
  • 5:15 PM:
    I discover an earthquake hit back in San Jose.
  • 5:59:47 PM:
    I contact my host-family back in Costa Rica via Skype and find out they're OK.
  • 6:59 PM:
    I publish this post.

0 comments: