According to this podcast:
- 60% of the biodiversity in the world is located in 20 sites. Costa Rica is second most important one.
- The swap with Costa Rica was the largest one so far
- Since countries usually focus their resources on more pressing issues, canceling the debt allows them to put the extra money toward environmental conservation without taking money from their current budget
- Some of the farmers are concerned that their lands are being taken for conservation, and they don't receive any compensation. They fear the money and benefits won't reach them, they'll remain at the top level and not be distributed properly
- Some worry that this agreement increases U.S. influence over Costa Rica's most precious natural resource - its land. Also, some of the major financial backers of these policies are large corporations with a poor history of environmental preservation in their operations