Monday, October 20, 2008

Self Contained Underwater Brendan Apparatus (SCUBA)


I'm writing this from Bocas del Toro, Panamá, where I went to join a group of students getting their scuba diving certification. Already being a licensed diver, this awesome opportunity gave me the chance to get back underwater and see some colorful ocean beauty. Bocas del Toro is a great place to do it. The licensed PADI dive instructor had good connections with the local dive shop on this island so equipment rental and logistics went smoothly for all of us. Unfortunately, a lot of rain made for terrible visibility, but we were still unable to see some lobster, a crab, a hideous toadfish, and some beautiful iridescent fish.

Into the depths


Lobster

Some really cool type of Sea Cucumber

Brendan at 40 feet.

It was also nice to add a new country to my travel list (#13). Also this trip served to renew my visa which was going to expire in about a week. So... I'll be legal again! What joy!

I'm in the process of getting a long-term religious work visa, by the way, so I don't have to leave the country every 90 days. Until then, however, I "have" to leave the country every 3 months to renew my visa. Right now it's not really an inconvenience, because I love traveling, and it helps me familiarize myself with the transit system and more parts of Central America, and I get to practice my Spanish. Tack on some beach time and scuba diving to the destination point, and no complaints here!


Costa Rica - Panamá border

0 comments: