Friday, October 10, 2008

Day of Cultures

On the 10th of October, our language school celebrated "The Day of Cultures." The largest celebration was done by the younger students from the international school that meet on the same campus. The kids displayed their diversity of backgrounds, from a number of Latin American countries, South Korea, China, Canada, the U.S., and a few European countries.

I miss my church. As part of the celebration a young Korean girl whirled by in a colorful dress, and I missed the dances and songs of the kids in my church. I miss the meals we had together every Sunday. As kids went up to sing "Jesus Loves Me" in different languages, suddenly the Creole words to the song came back to me. I tried to remember them once before, but I couldn't. Now they come back - all of them, and I wished so desperately to sing them.

I get goose bumps, thinking again - perhaps I am in the right place. Not just the right place like the right place to be of service to others - but the right place for me as well. Do I dare to hope both could exist at the same time, in the same place?

Only once before did I really feel a unity in cultures like this. Strike that, twice. In my Intercultural Church in Nampa, Idaho (what a blessing that was). And in Kansas City, when I served as part of an intercultural team there. It's a feeling of "home" I rarely feel repeated. Very rarely. But whenever I do feel it... I take note. Praise God for those moments.

One never reaches home... But where paths that have affinity for each other intersect, the whole world looks like home, for a time.
from Demian, by Hermann Hesse

0 comments: